Framing Beyond The Walls - Nicosia Airport
Nicosia Airport, which was heavily used by RAF during the 2nd World War, was the island's only international airport used by Turkish and Greek Cypriots from 1947 for the commercial reasond until the break out of the war and the seperation of two communities in Cyprus in 1974. Once, other than being the main entry and departure port for two communities, the cafes at the airport building also used to be the places for the families to spend time and socialise at the weekends. The airport which is now within the borders of the Buffer Zone controlled by the UNFICYP after the war ended about 40 years, stays much the same as it was in 1974 frozen in time as a symbol of survival. A Cyprus Airways plane still remains abondoned besides the hangars in the airport area. The engines of the plane has been used to repair another plane during the 1974 war.